Wednesday, July 19, 2006

These pictures are a departure from my usual paintings. For six years, I have been walking and biking on the trail that was created from the old CP and CN Rail beds. There are all kinds of hardware in and beside the trail. Every spring more spikes and metal work their way up through the soil to the surface. I have been collecting these items for awhile and bringing them home to the studio until I could decide what to do with them. They are a lovely reddish colour both from the soil embedded on them and from the oxidization of the metal.

Here is one solution. I think these make beautiful paperweights and will display them as such. I have also used nylon thread to hang them from the ceiling in my studio as a kind of mobile. This is a project of fun for me!

(Back to Railway Spikes and Insects)

No comments: