Sunday, April 01, 2007

My New Zealand Trip, March 2007

This sketch is one I did near the Waitomo Caves on March 4. I found that I didn't have much time for art as our itinerary was very full.

These are photos I took on March 1.




Our hotel (on the right) from the Sky Tower



Looking toward the Sky Tower from the Hotel




Auckland skyline




An Interesting Dome




A car as seen through the fountain at the Auckland Art Gallery


We arrived in Auckland at 7 am and were briefed by our travel agent at the airport and given our vouchers for our full stay in New Zealand. We were driven to our hotel which is located on a wharf in the harbour and, in fact, looks like a large ship in dock. We decided to walk around Auckland and agreed with each other that the city looked like any other in the world: we could have been in Toronto or Vancouver or New York. We bought tickets to the Sky Tower (very similar to the CN Tower in Toronto) and we dutifully took pictures from high over Auckland and marvelled over the beauty of the harbour.

We had a huge salad at Salad Works where you choose all the ingredients in a large or medium salad. That restaurant was one of the highlights of our stay and we returned to have another salad on our last day in NZ.

We visited the Auckland Art Gallery for a short period of time as we were beginning to get very tired from the combination of a 13-hour plane ride and a rather long walk around Auckland so we retired early.

(Back to Waitomo Cave Area)

6 comments:

Martha Marshall said...

Joyce! How fabulous. Sounds like a wonderful trip.

Joyce said...

Yes, Martha, it was indeed fabulous! I'm still in wonderment about the trip. I don't imagine I will ever go on such a trip again.

I did pay with a really terrible head cold once I got home and my body still has the days and nights reversed, but I wouldn't have traded my experience for anything. I love NZ and its people and the environment is very different from anything I've ever experienced!!

Pat Paulk said...

A place I've always wanted to go. I'm envious!!

Joyce said...

Pat, I hope you make plans to go sometime. It is worth it.

Betty said...

Hi Joyce!
What a geat collection of pictures, and a mountain of memories - to say nothing of an unending source for inspiration for paintings!!!!

I'm glad you had such a great trip and many wonderful experiences.

Betty

Betty said...

Joyce,

What a great collection of pictures, and unending source for paintings! Also a mountain of memories for you.

Glad you had such a great trip and so many wonderful experiences.