Thursday, May 04, 2006

I pedaled my bicycle about 8 km to my favourite painting spot--Coulter's Old Farmstead. The first time I painted these buildings, the current custodian came over and told me the history of the place. His father (Mr. Brewer) used to work at the farm which has a lot of land attached to it. Years ago, water was carried via wooden pipes from the ridge behind the house to the upstairs where it gave running water to the family. There was a special lean-to (now rotted away) attached at the side of the house that was used to store milk, cream, and butter. There are a number of outbuildings including three barns. Three years ago there used to be cattle around the yard and fields, but no more. Now it is populated by dozens of red winged blackbirds protecting their territories. Their songs are beautiful!

I imagine that the family who lovingly build this house must have been proud of its grandeur. I estimate it to be about 100 years old.

(Back to Coulter's Farm)

No comments: