Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I have started a project suggested by Martha Marshall--to paint 12 paintings on the same subject matter in order to help create a distinctive style given the same size paper, the same subject matter and the same palette.

I count this as my second painting. Today the insects were out in full force even though I left home earlier than usual hoping it would be too cool for them to bite in earnest. I also found that my paint was taking a long time to dry so I did a small painting while I was waiting. I seemed rushed, out of focus and bewildered by bites while doing this painting.

I did something else that I won't try again. I don't like to waste paint so I just added my new triad colours (Cobalt Blue, Aureolin, and Rose Madder (I don't know if it was "genuine") to the colours of the previous triad. A big mistake because the mixing was horrible. I couldn't get a grey I liked so everything is brown that should be grey. So I learned about sticking to three colours and not messing about in order to save paint!

(Back to Zealand House 2)

No comments: